Nicole Junkermann — Successful Investor and Entrepreneur
Born in Germany, Nicole Junkermann is a London-based investor and entrepreneur. She is the founder of NJF Holdings, an international investment and finance company that consists of a venture-capital arm, a private-equity arm, a real-estate investment arm, and the JJ Collection, an initiative that aims to use art as a tool to fight for an open world.
Junkermann serves as a business mentor and on the boards of Trilantic Capital Europe, OWKIN, and Shanghai Really Sports. She is the secretary of state for Healthtech Advisory Board, the organization responsible for helping the UK government technologically transform the NHS. With significant international experience working and living in Europe, Asia, and the United States, Junkermann speaks six languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
About Nicole Junkermann
Nicole Junkermann enrolled at the International University of Monaco in 1995 and graduated in 1998 with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration. After graduation, Junkermann launched her career in sports when she co-founded a digital football gaming portal called Winamax. From 2002 until 2011, Junkermann served as the strategic investor and vice chairperson of Infront, a sports and media company that was eventually sold to Bridgepoint. In 2007, Junkermann founded United in Sports, the first private equity fund in the world focused on sports.
Since 2011, Junkermann has turned her focus to experimental technology with investments in areas like virtual reality, artificial intelligence, genomics, and robotics. In 2015, she founded NJF Holdings through which she makes her investments. Since then, the company has amassed more than 30 companies in its portfolio.
Nicole Junkermann began her career and investment focus in the sports sector but has since diversified to include technology, property, and art. Some of Junkermann’s most significant investments are:
• Swarm Technologies – Located in Palo Alto, California, Swarm is a satellite company committed to providing low-cost, accessible internet connectivity across the globe.
• Bolt – Located in San Francisco, Bolt is a revolutionary payments stack that provides seamless checkout and payments processing as well as 100% coverage for fraud.
• Really Sports – One of the largest sports equipment retailers in China.
• Carbyne – Based in Tel Aviv in Israel, this company is a real-time emergency communications platform that uses advanced technology to ensure public safety.
• Gordian Biotechnology – A San Francisco-based company that built a screening platform to radically increase the efficiency of developing therapies for complex diseases related to aging.
In November 2019, Healthcare IT News announced that Nicole Junkermann would be one of the members of the UK Healthtech Advisory Board. Chaired by Dr. Ben Goldrace, the board was created to guide the UK government in transforming the use of technology across the NHS. In June 2017, Time Magazine reported on Magnum Photos’ first outside investment in 70 years. The investment in the prestigious photo agency was made by Junkermann alongside media expert Jörg Mohaupt. The deal was designed to help Magnum grow in a constantly changing digital landscape.